How I got here

 I have been a Dungeon Master for various RPGs now at the time of this writing for 22 going on 23 years now. In that time I have opted to try a solo dungeon here and there including the entertaining GURPS Conan adventures and random dungeons/hex crawls generated during lunch breaks. Most of the time this was just to try out new methods of content generation to see how quick and how well they worked for table aids during live games. Usually a small merry band of adventurers or more often than not a single solitary hero would get created, go on a small adventure, and then get tucked away for a hopeful reincarnation as a npc some where down the road. 


And then real life once more reared its awful head.......


I had for a while this last year had 2 gaming groups going for the better part of 2020-2021. I had a a Swords and Wizardry campaign with a good 3 dedicated players with a revolving door of additional 4th and 5th players who would come and go with the passing of the wind. I also had my most recent attempt at GMing a GURPS campaign thinking I could handle a group of solid veteran players and newbies alike in a hodge-podge Gamma World/Mutant Future with magic. Things went well for a while in both games but as tends to happen to many groups both online and in person real life just started getting more and more in the way. Some players in both groups would straight up no show other times family matters would crop up. Holidays I find can be campaign killers esp. if your gaming nights are strictly on the weekend. I also started having more and more things crop up on my end making it difficult to run games until there almost wasn't a point in playing and I ended the GURPS campaign(which honestly I bit off more then I could chew with the style of game I was trying to pull off) and like Ross and Rachel(bonus points for those of you playing at home if you catch the reference) the S&W game and I are currently "on a break". 


As an avid collector of dead trees(books) and my desire to create has led me down some intriguing avenues to still make use and enjoy my collection and break away from being the "forever GM" as not counting convention games I can count on 1 hand how many games I have played in where I wasn't the one running it. One such avenue is making use of what is known as an oracle. The long and short of what an oracle provides is the ability to play a RPG by a series of Yes/No questions to flesh out a scene and replace having the need for a Game Master so you can go on adventures on your own. As it turns out there is a ton of these available many of them free or very low cost making the barrier to entry to give this a try. In my following posts I will be working my way through some of my backlog of game systems and adventures and trying out many of these oracle systems and giving my thoughts on what I like, what I don't, and building up my own method for some solo adventure goodness. 


My hope is this will become a hub for others who are in the same boat and are looking for a way to enjoy the hobby while also contributing ideas and suggestions along the way. So every one is encouraged to comment and share and perhaps we will all grow into something pretty great.


Comments

Popular Posts